Stomatopods as Pests
What do you do with a captured mantis shrimp?
- Keep it as a pet in its own small container (highly
recommended) - they are alert, tough, easy to care for,
and many are also colorful.
- Sell it to a local fish store if possible, or sell it to
another aquarist. Post on the web if needed (eg.
rec.aquaria.marketplace). Highly recommended.
- Kill it
- Stick it into a dry container and leave it there
- very, very strongly discouraged.
- Feed it to large fishes such as triggers. Make
sure there is a large size discrepancy here or
the eating will go the other way around. In one
reported case, a pair of Odontodactylus
scyllarus killed 6 Clown triggers in a
- Coldkill it - Place a container full of water
into freezer. Check to see that water is near
freezing. Drop crustacean into the container.
Keep frozen for awhile. Serve frozen, with
strawberry on top (just kidding!). Please note
that there have been some reports that claim this
is also an inhumane way of killing fishes
(although they did not mention invertebrates).
- Smash animal quickly and completely to minimize
suffering (not kidding!)
Web Site Author: A. San Juan
Site Created February 3, 1998
Care & Rearing |
Pest Control |
Stomatopod Logs |
Stomatopod Pics |
Stomatopods in Film |
Stomatopods in Fiction |